Thursday, July 21, 2005

God's most beautiful creation

I have always loved shooting landscapes and seascapes. But all throughout my travels, I realize that my favorite photos are those that include people -- particularly kids. I remember what LT Jeyachandran said during our IVCF Conference in Bohol "When you take pictures, make sure you include people in them, for nothing beats the beauty of the human spirit."

So during the ground-breaking ceremonies for the Lopez-MNTC-GK Village at Marilao Bulacan, I took pictures of the most beautiful of God's creation. As I walked through the narrow streets of the humble neighborhood, I saw young children play Pinoy streetgames such as piko, patintero or jolen. There is a noticeable joy in their eyes. Soon I arrived at the area where new houses were being built, not by bulldozers or construction equipment - but by human hands. These will be the future homes of families who have become beneficiaries of the houses donated by the Manila North Tollways Corporation (MNTC) through its partnership with Gawad Kalinga.


Inspired by LT's words, as well as Deo's Gawad Kalinga photos and Luis' pictures of less fortunate children, I wandered around the neighborhood and took my own pictures of kids. Here is a cheerful bunch who lent me their smiles.


The neighborhood's children gave a special number during the groundbreaking ceremony. For me, this was the highlight of the day's event, for it made me realize that it wasn't just homes that GK was building, it was also for their future.


I caught a group of boys sharing a simple but enjoyable moment in one of the houses built by GK. In six month's time, these gray hollow blocks will turn into typical Gawad Kalinga houses painted with rainbow colors. So will the lives of those who dwell in them turn from gray-drab to rainbow-colorful.



Besides, rainbows do appear as God's reminders of hope and promises fulfilled. One has appeared in the faces of these children.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Dom Cimafranca said...

Hi, Nechie. Kumusta? Sorry, it's been a long time since I've visited. Do let me know when you're dropping by Dumaguete.

Nechie said...

Hi Doms! Thanks for dropping by. It's okay, I really haven't been blogging much lately. And I haven't been to Dumaguete for around three months now. Hope I can visit again soon. I miss the place, and I've been craving for Jo's chicken inato! =)

Olive Joy said...

Keep these safe somewhere, they're precious...you can have them shown in an exhibit someday. :)

Nechie said...

Thanks, Olive. I do keep my photos safe. Some have moved beyond this blog to the pages of Enterprise Magazine (check out my latest entry). I'm not really dreaming of seeing them on exhibit someday (just like the ones we viewed at Waltermart last Saturday)... but then again, who knows? Besides, we are free to dream anyway. =)

Anonymous said...

hi, I'm Mykey, a fulltime worker for Gawad Kalinga doing corporate key accounts. I was just given MNTC as a key account to handle, so I decided to do a little research on the GK Village they were handling on google. The result turned up with your photoblog included, so when i clicked...

So what I really wanted to do was ask you if you've seen the village recently, its an improvement already from before, I'm sure. And probably you can do a new photoblog again. Anyhow, just so we won't have to disclose any private info right away, I'll just check your site again for your reply, or you can email me at mykeycuentoako@yahoo.com

Hope to hear from you soon, God bless!